Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Skinny Man Syndrome




From a teenager to my early twenties I suffered from what I would call the skinny man syndrome. Eat-and-eat, and never gain weight. It was a tragedy that would haunt my dreams, and cause me to engage many a midnight milk shake. I couldn't wait for the day when my butt was rounder than my knuckles and my chin grew into two.

Now that has all changed and with quick succeeding years I enjoy a rounder, more “jolly” belly and fuller face. Having been cured from skinny man syndrome gives me a new look on life. I can see the effects of the food I eat and the joyous results that befall a man after a plump hamburger or simmering piece of pie. Albeit I have much to discover in the future years, our adventures of the gastrononimcal kind this year has brought us to such a place that embraces this foodological effect.


Chubby's Cafe, diagonally across from Macy's in Pleasant Grove, invests in all things chub. They serve out an assortment of foods. Hamburgers, chicken and soul inspired cuisine rounds the menu into a full service diner. Pearl and I ventured to this place after Pearl had noticed how run down the exterior looked. We were surprised to see that inside was much cleaner and neater. The cashier was cordial and as I peered in the back I caught a glimpse of the chef. He was not suffering from skinny man syndrome. We scanned the menu. Pearl ordered the jalapeno ranch burger, she is on a kick of spicy things lately, and had an order of fries on the side. I took on the cheese steak as recommended by the cashier, and couldn't resist the choice of jambalaya as a side dish.

The meal was as advertised. Flavorful, messy, and juicy. I really enjoyed the fries and fry sauce and I liked Pearl's hamburger better than my cheese steak sandwich. The burger had just the right tang to it and left my mouth watering. The jambalaya was ok. I felt the rice was a little dry and the taste was not as carefully crafted as jambalaya deserves. The cheese steak was good in flavor and served it purpose of filling my belly with delight. I sometimes think about this restaurant and long for next year when I can return and rejoice as a graduate from skinnyness.


-Mat

1 comment: