Saturday, July 23, 2011

Rice King Noodle, or RKN as I like to call it








Rice King Noodle. It's all in the name! This little Viatnamese joint on Provo Center St. It was a hard pick this night because of all the choices on that St but fate led us here. I walked in and recognized it. I had been there the year before, only it was a burger joint with nocturnal forest scenes painted on the walls and cutesy little pine trees and bears as decor. The Viatnamese owners did not bother painting over this which felt a little weird. Kind of like the Fong's near my hospital that used to be a 50's style diner. They didn't change anything, you are in this classic 50's style Diner eating sticky rice with chopsticks....more on that another day. SO we talk to the very friendly waiter about food choices. Mat decided on the Pho (pronounce FU) which is a soup type thing with all kinds of meat including but not limited to meat balls, tripe, flank steak etc. I got some sort of chicken and we got some egg rolls. Side note: one thing I am learning is to not always order the chicken because it never tastes all that different from place to place! So we set out to eat this food. It was A LOT of food as you can see. We kept eating and eating at Mat's and we were both stuffed and left a good portion in the bowl when we left. I loved the fresh veggies on mine and the chicken was good too. Nothing outstanding and too exotic. I did LOVE the egg/spring rolls, whatever they were they had a delicious sauce. So we enjoyed our meal. I really liked the place as we left. We took a nice summery walk down Center St. gazing in the shops and into each others eyes then we stopped in the Covey Art's Center to play a rousing game of "Guess My Favorite Painting" when mid-way through Mat excused himself to the restroom. I waited and waited and waited. Finally I figured something must be wrong and sure enough he emerged to reveal gastronomical distress. We didn't think too much of this and headed home. Shortly after my stomach pain started. My pain was not so quickly resolved however. We came home to clean and organize and my stomach got worse and worse. I was trying to be brave, laugh it off so I said to Mat "It feels like Vietnam is waging war between the North and South and I don't know who will win!" so he say's "That seems a little dramatic" that was it. I ripped his head off "You don't even know! Don't tell me how I feel!" and went and laid down. I later apologized to Mat, he went home. I will spare the details of the rest of my night, but I will say it was a long night. So my final take on Rice King Noodle....I don't know. It was good, but you know how getting sick after eating something taint's your memories.

1 comment: