Monday, January 16, 2012

Is It So Hard To Serve a Warm Hotdog?





After a visit to Hot Dog King in Orem today we had a discussion about the apparent difficulty in serving a warm hot dog because you guessed it, my hot dog was stone cold. Thankfully Mat, being on his best husband duties and very hungry we traded and I ate his much warmer hot dog and he gobbled down my cold one. Hot Dog King has been open for six years, or so the hyper active elderly cooking man told us. He was very shocked we had not been in before and expressed the sadness of the fact we could have been eating his hot dogs for 6 whole years. Consequently I will not be eating them for another 6 years....or 12, hopefully. They are "gourmet" hot dogs which added up to being a 3 fold menu of different hot dogs piled high with toppings, usually quiet similar and it was very confusing to read the almost exact same ingredients over and over and decide what you want. It could be simplified and still offer a wide selection. Perhaps with a simpler menu they could actually remember what Mat ordered and bring him the right one instead of whatever they brought, it was good, just not what he ordered. We left with the desire to still eat something good and reminisced on our visit to The Pizzaria, (yes it was actually misspelled and should have been The Pizzeria) This little number we found in Duchesne, Utah on our way to Vernal. Walking in was scary upon arrival, but this is the risk you run when you take to the unknown to eat. There was no one around, a hole in the ceiling with a giant garbage can under it to catch dripping water. After a min or two a very young boy came out to take our order. It was like walking onto and episode of the X-Files or Twilight Zone. He seemed VERY hillbilly, hair slicked straight back, overalls (ok, maybe not but that's how I remember it) and buck teeth (yes for real) He looked like he should of been in school but stayed home to help run the family business. The chairs at the counter were old, cloth covered, office chairs. Like someone had replaced all the chairs in an office building and these were snatched out of the dumpster. The young boy took to his computer to take our order. Mat ordered a chili dog and two waters and the young boy repeated that, four times "Ok, two waters and a chili dog, two waters and a chili dog, two waters and a chili dog, two waters and a chili dog" each time picking up the computer mouse and setting it back down. It was like he was a robot that got a glitch from the leaky ceiling. I wanted to smack his head to bring him back to us, but he finally came around and I ordered a small pizza. We waited and waited and at one point the a 3 year older version of the young boy walked out and then a 18 year old version of the young boy. Seriously they all looked EXACTLY the same, awkwardly slicked back hair and all. I ventured to the bathroom and it was a good thing I had my rain boots on as the carpet leading up to the bathroom door squished under my feet and I walked in to find the toilet in the middle of the room with its open sewage hole in the corner where the toilet belonged. I rushed back to Mat, we got our food. A doughy pizza and a cold hot dog.....WHY IS IT SO HARD TO SERVE A WARM HOT DOG?!?! I can asses your restaurant, Pizzaria and Hot Dog King, are no chain high earning eateries, however a hot dog is the EASIEST food item in the world to cook. A 1 year old can do it. So why oh why is it so hard to zap the damn thing in the microwave for 20 seconds before you bring it to me....especially when its ALL YOUR RESTAURANT SERVES!!!(I'm talking to you Hot Dog King) I understand hot dogs are one of the least desirable food items to go out to a sit down place and order, but they can be delicious. I.E. J Dawgs...down by BYU and now off University Parkway by Rumbi Grill. THAT is a good hot dog, and always warm...as for Pizzaria and Hot Dog King, I dethrone you both. Next time I want to eat a nasty cold dog, well that's the problem I NEVER want nasty cold Hot Dog's. Officially on our DO NOT RETURN list.
The pictures are proof that The Pizzaria is very, very real.

No comments:

Post a Comment